National Electricity Production in Peru Increases by 5.9% in May 2023

July 13, 2023. The Ministry of Energy and Mines (MINEM) in Peru has reported a significant increase in national electricity production for the month of May 2023. According to the Ministry’s General Directorate of Electricity, the total electricity generation in the country reached 5,216 gigawatt-hours (GWh), marking a 5.9% growth compared to May 2022.

The report, titled “Key Indicators of the Electricity Sector at the National Level,” highlights that out of the total electricity generated, 97% (5,046 GWh) was supplied to the electricity market, while the remaining 3% (170 GWh) was used for self-consumption by industries with their own generation units, such as mining, sugar, and oil companies.

Experts from the General Directorate of Electricity (DGE) attributed the progressive increase in electricity production throughout the country to the economic activity of major industries operating in different regions.

In terms of electricity generation sources, hydroelectric power plants contributed 2,560 GWh during this period, representing a 7% decrease compared to May 2022. On the other hand, thermal power plants recorded a generation of 2,374 GWh, indicating a significant increase of 22.1% compared to the same period last year. Among the thermal power plants, those utilizing natural gas accounted for 2,232 GWh.

The technical report also highlights the growth of electricity generation from non-conventional renewable energy resources (RER) such as solar, wind, bagasse, and biogas. These sources contributed to a total production of 327 GWh in the first four months of the year, representing a 19% increase compared to the same period in 2022. The RER production accounted for 6.3% of the national electricity production during the analyzed period.

This increase in electricity production is a positive sign for Peru’s energy sector and reflects the country’s efforts to diversify its energy sources and promote the use of renewable energy. It demonstrates the growing importance of sustainable energy practices and the potential for further development in the renewable energy sector in Peru.

The Ministry of Energy and Mines’ focus on increasing electricity production and promoting renewable energy sources aligns with global trends and commitments towards reducing greenhouse gas emissions and combating climate change. It is crucial for countries like Peru to harness the potential of renewable energy to achieve a sustainable and environmentally friendly energy sector.

Furthermore, the report’s findings emphasize the importance of a balanced energy mix, combining traditional and renewable energy sources, to ensure a stable and reliable electricity supply for both residential and industrial consumers. The growth of renewable energy generation indicates a positive shift towards a greener and more sustainable energy future for Peru.

As the country continues to prioritize the development of its energy infrastructure and promotes investments in renewable energy projects, it is expected that Peru will further enhance its electricity generation capacity and reduce its dependence on fossil fuels. This will not only contribute to mitigating climate change but also foster economic growth, create employment opportunities, and improve energy security in the long run.

In conclusion, the increase in national electricity production in Peru reflects the country’s commitment to expanding its energy sector and embracing renewable energy sources. The growth in renewable energy generation, along with the utilization of traditional sources, showcases Peru’s progress in achieving a sustainable and resilient electricity system. Moving forward, continued investments and initiatives in the energy sector will play a vital role in supporting Peru’s sustainable development goals and ensuring a cleaner and more prosperous future for its citizens.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *